In Design and Technology at key stage Three, the department currently operates a modular approach in Years 7-8. Each year group is half year blocked with five modules in each year (Groups are coded Y1-Y5 and Z1 –Z5 with mixed ability classes): – Textiles, Food, Product Design Resistant Materials, Graphic Products and Electronics are delivered. (CAD/CAM is taught as an element of Product Design, Resistant Materials and Graphics.) Each module consists of approximately seven-eight weeks with an assessment at the end of that module. (a rota for subjects is published for the year).
Students opt for three technology options at the end of year 8 in preparation for year 9. Students can then opt for one or more of these options at KS4.
- Year 7 4 periods per two week timetable (5 modules)
- Year 8 4 periods per two week timetable (5 modules)
- Year 9 4 periods per two week timetable (one option per term)
- Year 10 5 periods per two week timetable (Tech option(s))
- Year 11 Same as Year 10.
- Year 12 9 periods per two week timetable.
At Key Stage Four and Five, the department offers a wide range of courses.
The following GCSE syllabi are offered:
- Electronic Products
- Graphic Products
- Product Design
- Resistant Materials
- Textiles Technology
- Btec Level 2 Engineering
- Btec Level 2 Construction
- Product Design 3D
- Textiles (ART specification)