Pupil Premium and the National Tutoring Programme

Pupil premiums in the 2021 to 2022 academic year

As in previous years, we will continue to use the pupil premium, recovery premium, national tutoring programme and recovery catchup premium to improve the attainment of our disadvantaged and vulnerable pupils. The disproportionately high impact of COVID-19 on the education of disadvantaged pupils makes this more important than ever.
For 2021 to 2022, we are required to:

  • use our recovery premium alongside our pupil premium funding and report on your use of them as a single sum in our strategy statement
  • publish your strategy statement by 31 December 2021
  • demonstrate how our spending decisions are informed by a range of evidence

Our strategy is developed using the following principles:

1. Identify the specific challenges faced by our disadvantaged and vulnerable pupils

Diagnostic assessment is crucial for understanding the specific elements of education that pupils are finding challenging, rather than performance in whole subjects. We must understand any non-academic challenges that pupils are facing that are negatively affecting their education and impact their access to teaching, for example:

  • attendance and levels of persistent absence
  • behaviour incidences and exclusions data
  • wellbeing, mental health and safeguarding concerns
  • access to technology and educational materials
  • high mobility

When identifying challenges, you should draw on a range of data sources including discussions with teachers and support staff and engagement with pupils and families.

2. Create a strategy plan to address the key challenges

Our plan focuses on the controllable challenges that are having the most significant adverse impact on our disadvantaged pupils. We adopt a tiered model which focuses on:

  • high-quality teaching
  • targeted academic support
  • wider strategies

We consult school staff, the designated safeguarding lead (DSL), the designated teacher, and the special educational needs coordinator (SENCo). We also consult relevant external partners, such as the Virtual School Head.

3. Use evidence to assess the merit of any activity that you consider implementing

We:

  • consult a wide range of independent, high-quality reviews of evidence, such as the evidence summaries published by EEF
  • assess whether the evidence is based on a context relevant to your school
  • consider how to be an effective consumer and challenge evidence claims made by external providers

4. Implement your plan

We consider:

  • how to integrate the activity with the curriculum
  • what changes will be needed to existing ways of working
  • which pupils will get what activity, when and in what group size
  • how to ensure all staff promote the principles and ethos of your strategy, such as high aspiration
  • professional development requirements, taking the standard for professional development into account
  • requirements of external providers if you are using them
  • what data and resources will be required to monitor the impact of each activity

Sustaining our strategy

The outcome of our evaluation informs our decisions whether to sustain or stop each activity. Where a strategy is successful, we continue to monitor implementation.

National Tutoring Programme 2021-2022

Disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic have resulted in significant missed education by pupils. The National Tutoring Programme supports disadvantaged and vulnerable pupils from year 1 to 11 to catch up with missed education due to COVID-19. There are three tutoring routes as part of the National Tutoring Programme:

Tuition Partners

The Tuition Partner for Brine Leas School is Pearson. Through Pearson we are facilitating small group tuition to help key stage 3 and key stage 4 students catch up with their learning in English, mathematics and science. Our plan for the National Tutoring Programme during academic year

2021/22 can be read HERE. 70% of the cost is subsidised by the government in academic year 2021/22. The remaining 30% is funded through other school budgets. The subsidy rate for 2022/23 will be 50% and for 2023/24 will be 25%.

Academic Mentors

Academic Mentors are salaried staff who will work alongside teachers to provide a range of interventions within a small-group and one-to-one session. Areas that qualify have a higher-than-average percentage of pupils eligible for free school meals and pupil premium. The average for the UK is 20.8% (2020/21). Brine Leas School is not in a qualifying Local Authority District to receive this funding (15.9% 2021/22).

School-Led Tutoring

All state-funded schools and academy trusts are given a ring-fenced grant to fund locally sources of tutoring provision for disadvantaged pupils. Brine Leas School will receive £18,832 during academic year 2021/22. Funding is allocated for around 60% of pupils eligible for pupil premium. 75% of the cost is subsidised in academic year 2021/22. Schools and academy trust will need to fund the remaining 25% through other budgets. The subsidy rate for 2022/23 will be 60% and for 2023/24 will be 25%.

The plan for 2021/22 can be read HERE.

16-19 Tuition Fund 2021/22

The 16-19 Tuition Fund is being used by Brine Leas Sixth Form to provide small group tuition to mitigate the disruption to learning arising from coronavirus (COVID-19), specifically supporting students who did not attain a grade 5 or above in English or Maths at GCSE. Targeted support is therefore being offered to seven students, in the form of timetabled lessons, who require additional assistance in English and/or Maths to enable them to successfully engage with their A level studies.